Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 00:57:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas Arnold <tom@inna.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD doesn't like SNAP! (panic: unwire: page not in pmap)

On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> Nope, IMHO, there are no _good_ 486 boards left on the market, the last
> _good_ 486 PCI board I could get was the ASUS PCI/I-486SP3G and I have not
> been able to get any more of them.

I have been having extremely good luck with the Biostar MB-8433UUD.  3
PCI slots 4 simm slots.  Only problem is you need to get the absolute
LATEST Award BIOS for it or you will have to set BIOS defaults by hand
for chips like the X5.  I'm running two here right now one with an AMD X5
and one with a Cyrix 5x86-120 both run fine.  Side note : I have yet to
find a fast 486 motherboard that would work with 4 or 6 chip 2x32 simms.
This manifests itself in dozens of unrelated problems.  I was unable to
get an Adaptec 2940UW to work properly until I switched memory to 16chip
2x32 simms.  I've noticed this problem on ASUS, Acer, and Biostar
motherboards.

These boards ( Biostar ) use the UMC chipset which, true to standard UMC
form, towards the end of the lifespan of the chipset finally get all the kinks
worked out...

     : Tom Arnold - No relation to Rosanne           :
     : SysAdmin/Pres - TBI, Ltd ( inna.net )         :
     : An ISP serving the Virginia Middle Penninsula :