Date:      Sat, 30 Jun 2001 15:18:04 +0000
From:      John Toon <john.toon@btinternet.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Browser with *good* Java & Flash support?

Hi,

I want to be able to use a good internet browser with _decent_ Java and
Flash support. However, I seem to have hit a nasty stumbling block with
this on FreeBSD:

1. The Linux-Netscape 6 port doesn't support plugins/Java.
2. The Mozilla port can't use the Linux plugins - and there is no native
FreeBSD Java plugin or official Flash plugin (in my experience, the GPL
one doesn't function very well).
3. Opera for Linux doesn't as yet support Netscapes 6 plugins.
4. The Linux version of Mozilla doesn't function correctly on my machine
- for some bizarre reason I am completely unable to connect to anything
*at all* after the browser has started up - even when I'm online.
5. Netscape 4.x is a terrible browser (thankfully we now have
alternatives on *nix boxes) with completely useless Java support.
6. Apparently wine can't as yet run Internet Explorer 5.x anywhere near
properly, and I have no idea as to it's Win32 Netscape 6 ability.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I'm desperate for decent browser Java
support!

Is there any chance that the Linux plugins will be supported under the
FreeBSD Mozilla port in the near future?

Regards,

John.