Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 1995 11:06:40 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hlew@genome.Stanford.EDU (Howard Lew)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: booteasy broken??? (no)

Howard Lew stands accused of saying:
> Current 2.0.5-6/22 SNAP setup:  486 DX4-100, 12 MB RAM, 1.2Gig (wd0),
> 540 MB (wd1), 130 MB (wd2)
>
>       1.2Gig - master (all freebsd with swap), 540 MB - slave (all DOS)
>       130 MB - master on second ide port (all DOS)
>
> With 2.0.5-950622-SNAP, I can boot up FreeBSD from the 1.2Gig, but
> booteasy bootmanager can not boot up DOS from the 540 MB.  It
> always stops with the Non-System Disk Error.  If I wanted to boot up the
> old 4-22 SNAP release from the 540 MB, that works.  But I can't boot up DOS.

You can't boot DOS from the second disk without modifying the DOS
bootrecord.

> Now I'm stumped.  Is booteasy broken when it comes to booting a totally
> new OS that isn't on the first drive.

No, it's a DOS limitation.

> Any suggestions?  I have not tried creating a DOS partition on the 1.2
> Gig because I wanted to give it all to FreeBSD.  Or is that the only
> alternative?  Is the Linux LILO any better?

Nope; if you want to use DOS, you either slap a small partition on
the first drive, or wander through the DOS bootrecord looking for 0x80, and
and change them (one at a time 8) to 0x81.  (BIOS disk numbers...)

> Thanks in advance for any help.

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[