Date:      21 Apr 2000 02:35:18 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best NIC / Best CDR-CDRW

Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de> wrote:

> If you only want some little-stressed networking between your box and that
> of your buddy/children/roommate, then 10MBit shall be enough and cheap,
> also if sharing cable modem.

Sure.

This week I've burned a few CD ROMs. Nothing special. Everybody
burns CDs these days. For some CDs, I couldn't keep the source data
and the ISO image on the the same machine for disk space reasons,
so I ended up doing something like this...

host1$ mkisofs ... | rsh host2 'cat >foo.iso'

... and kept wondering why this operation always took some 15
minutes. Eventually the realization hit me that my expectation of
LAN operations being "instantaneous" needed some revision. 10Base-T,
that's 1MB/s max, with 600MB per image, well, it's obvious.

I've been nagging since that the machine with the CD burner needs
a 100Base-TX card. In fact, it has a Realtek one now, which was
exceedingly cheap, but then we've noticed a certain lack of 100Mbit/s-
capable switch ports.

Anyway, this has lately become a pet peeve of mine. 10Mbit/s is
*not* fast enough today. If you can, go 100Mbit/s.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de