Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:20:59 -0400
From:      Steve Kudlak <chromexa@ovis.net>
To:        "Victor R. Cardona" <vcardona@home.com>
Cc:        Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, e v <ellen_venable@yahoo.com>, xep@pvorus.logy.org
Subject:   Re: FW: My Experience With FreeBSD

"Victor R. Cardona" wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 01:04:03PM -0400, Tim McMillen wrote:
> >       Some of the larger OEM's can start to offer Linux but that's all
> > they are likely to do soon because of the training costs involved.  When
> > the mass market (even those that are savvy enough to handle a free unix
> > system) buys a computer they want it to be fully configured when they get
> > it.  It would have to have X windows and KDE or Gnome installed
> >       But then there is still th whole issue with M$'s strongarm tactics
> > below.
>
> Hell, I would be happy if I could just get a system w/o an OS. Oh well,
> I build my own anyway:-)
>
> Victor Cardona

I sortof agree. But there is dangrer in these fully configured systems from
people like Gateway and Dell. Dell I think will given you a congiured Linux.  I
will say for Gateway that they have to this point been nothing BUT speedy and
prompt with their response and service. The acid test will come about when I
call and tell them I hate Pegausus Mail. mail and don't want to see it on
startup, nor several other things they and Uncle Bill feel are just the cat's
meow.

Right now I am going through the windows startup for win 98 and it is as obtuse
and messy as Sun and SPARC and X could handle and trying my handat at it.
ANother hard drive (danni's or not:) to boot LINUX, BSD etc.off of is sounding
more and more appealing. Now if REDHAT stopped trying to out AMA the AMA (when
they became THE MEDICAL EStablishment with a little ihnolding for thre D.O).
Also it woud be nice if BSDer's at least some I have seen on the mailing lists,
would get off the "this the real world deal with it" (which sound close to
RTFM). But at least beteween newbie's list and hacker's list I am gaining the
understanding (well a re understanding of BSD, the *nix I learned on)of BSD.
ANd I hear lest flaming there than eleswhere, and less chatisement for
violations of nrettiqutte (what the bloody hell that is!!!:;)  So it looks like
BSD or SUSE, and with soource I'll at least have a place to start should things
get weird. And I;ll have a fun and stable OS. So it took me awhile to build and
I creied on some frineds' soulhders but it will be there (gee did I use the
future perfect tense;)

The way rents in places I rather be, and Wheeling, WV (current place) is not
ehrer I wanna be...I may be willing to offer training for a comfy room, a
pizza, food and movie and book allowance) +plus a Universal Transit Card to the
SF BAY and even gasp LA! and Portland, OR as long as I can have 81F/27C/300K at
40% Rel Humidity Living space.

Note well I am passingakidney stone and somwhat out of it, consuming 4 Vicodin
ES, 5 Klopopin and a couple Dramamine on a still empty stomach. Maybe  I should
eat something. I also read a few microsoft books a la Tim O'  and friends.

Have Fun (Hope this was illustrative),
Sends Steve (Note: I am an intermediate-bie and all my postings are
appropriate;)