Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 20:01:54 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <s.mitchell@computer.org>
To:        Don Wallwork <donwall@cisco.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Porting linux drivers to FreeBSD

On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 04:14:50PM -0800, Don Wallwork wrote:
> Hi-
>
> I found a linux driver for my Xircom PCMCIA ethernet card at:
> http://pcmcia.sourceforge.org/

Which card was that?  All of the recent Xircom PCMCIA cards are supported
by the xe driver in 3.x

> Are there any pointers available on porting linux drivers
> to FreeBSD?

I'm not aware of any, but for network drivers at least it's pretty easy
regardless.  To a certain level, a driver is a driver is a driver; they all
have to do pretty much the same things in the same order, BSD and Linux
just express that a little differently.  I've typically found that figuring
out how to make the d*mn badly documented hardware behave is way harder
than glueing it into your OS of choice :-)

	Scott