Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 17:01:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pgcc compile of kernel

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Ollivier Robert wrote:

> According to John S. Dyson:
> > Try using the pgcc at ftp.goof.com.  It uses egcs as a base, and appears to
> > compile the kernel correctly, except with "-mcpu=pentiumpro -march=pentiumpro
>
> I tried compiling the kernel with pgcc-971225 with "-O3 -fno-inline -pipe
> -mamdk6". It compiles OK, seems to run fine until I got into X11. I
> couldn't run any xterm, they were all locked in "inode" state.
>
> I've compile a kernel at "-O2" and will see if it can boots.
>
> Reading specs from /opt/egcs/lib/gcc-lib/i386-unknown-freebsd3.0/pgcc-2.91.03/specs
> gcc version pgcc-2.91.03 971225 (gcc-2.8.0)

This probably has more to do with the ufs problems than with pgcc at all
(as someone without pgcc complained of cron processes sticking in that
state). I've run a -O9 -mpentium kernel before I got sick of keeping a
specific kernel compiler and not noticing much difference.  If I coulda
-mpentium'd libc OTOH (however if groff and other things break at -m486
-O3, I doubt I could -mpentium much else other than libc).

El hombre mas brillante dijo una vez "Cuidado hay NT". (it's a nerd thing)

- alex