Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 00:01:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        "Jay M. Richmond" <jayrich@room101.sysc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tin not working in 2.2-stable

On Sat, 25 Oct 1997, Jay M. Richmond wrote:

> Hello,
> I get the following message when running tin under the latest 2.2-stable.
> jayrich@room101$ tin -r
> tin 1.3 unoff BETA release 970424 [UNIX] (c) Copyright 1991-97 Iain Lea.
> Reading config file...
> Connecting to newshost.cs.rose-hulman.edu...
> Reading groups from active file...\tin: memory exhausted trying to
> allocate 656064 bytes in file ././memory.c line 120
>
> According to top there's plenty of memory available.
>
> Am I missing something or was something broken?  It was working last night
> before I compiled the latest stable kernel.

As tin betas go, 4/24/97 is quite out of date--I used the 7/31/97 beta
(a rather nice one) and September's offerings include 9/11, 9/23, and
9/30.  These I got from the ports collection, but there's also a 10/18
I haven't tried.

With the first two September betas the arrow keys quite functioning after
one did something like posting or following up (but only when dialing in,
not from the console). With 9/30, that doesn't
seem to happen.  I tend to think that tin is a little flakey, and what's
not working probably has more to do with it than with a FreeBSD kernel
or whatever.  Try the 9/30 beta.

Some of the people working on tin pay attention to posts on
news.software.readers, but they're really only interested in the most
recent version.

	Annelise