Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 20:27:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
To:        Yonatan Bokovza <Yonatan@xpert.com>
Cc:        "'Francisco Reyes'" <lists@natserv.com>, "Nickolay A. Kritsky" <nkritsky@internethelp.ru>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Cant ping/nslookup

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Yonatan Bokovza wrote:
> Your problem as I see it is that you can't communicate
> with your DNS,

That is correct and part of the problem.

> so you can't resolve freebsd.org, so you
> can't ping it. Try pinging 216.136.204.21, that's the
> resolved address.

I also have problems when i try to ping by IP.

> However, due to your "grep deny" I don't see any rule
> that explicitly allows you to communicate with the rest
> of the world, or your DNS for that matter.

What I was really trying to show was that all my deny rules had "log", yet
my /etc/security is not getting any entries which indicate something is
been denied.

I just posted another post with my config.
also strange is that if I do:
ipfw zero
ipfw show (after I try ping or nslookup at client)

None of the deny clauses is hit, yet my ping and nslookup fail.

I am wondering if it couldn't be something with natd.