Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:15:23 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jhs@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org, commercial@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Licensing Software

<<On Tue, 24 Sep 1996 18:18:03 -0700 (MST), Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org> said:

> Machine ID:	32 bit value
> 		use network tuple
> 		use ifconfig interface
> 		attempt to subvert via kernel hacking will damage ifconfig

No, do not use any form of network address for machine
identification.  This sort of idiocy is one of the most significant
barriers to the IPv6 transition and to flexible renumbering in
general.  Network addresses are just that, ADDRESSES.  They are
subject to change at will, without notice, and without any recourse on
the part of the licensee.  (Some of the other proposals for IPng would
have separated the addressing and identification completely, but
unfortunately this did not happen.)

DEC's license manager does not identify machines at all.  You can in
fact just copy /var/adm/lmf/ldb from one machine to another and it
will work just fine.  (We can legally do this because we have a site
license.)  If PCs had some sort of IEEE 802.x address burned into them
as a sort of serial number, you might be able to do this, but they
don't, so you can't do this, either.

Probably the best you can do is some sort of network
machine-id-uniqueness verification, but if you want to avoid doing
network stuff that doesn't help.

-GAWollman

MIT, LCS, ANA, or NSA|                     - Susan Aglukark and Chad Irschick