Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2020 04:21:17 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Klaus_K=C3=BCchemann?= <maciphone2@googlemail.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: arm64 as Tier 1 for FreeBSD 13

> Am 29.01.2020 um 22:51 schrieb Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>:
>=20
> =E2=80=A6..  manpower...
>=20
> Warner

=46rom my personal view the RPI-thing is overrated ,
it=E2=80=99s just another 4-core.. and if you ever made e.g.
a -j16 buildworld buildkernel in 90 minutes or so  on aarch64 : you =
won=E2=80=99t=20
expect the big revolution in computing from this RPI-gadget. :-)

but it doesn't look that bad for fbsd on RPI4 ( e.g. better than on =
Rock960 which causes u-boot-issues(only openbsd runs on it via the stock =
firmware):
With me RPI4 survived a make- j4 buildworld buildkernel with only few =
problems(had to increase sizeof  /tmp-folder)...
directly on uSD, mounted as root.
Well , after trying to boot to  GENERIC-MMCCAM it actually hangs=20
@ mountroot ... something like this should be implemented :
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D15955
, I guess it will then no problem to first get network from proprietary =
brcmfmac-driver
(because I had no problem doing that in netbsd with their =
SDIO-implementation).
Another question is if using the proprietary Broadcom-drivers will be an =
accepted way to go,
But why not , RPI wouldn=E2=80=99t boot fbsd without those drivers and  =
WIFI is even prepared in src :
( /usr.bin/sdiotool/sdiotool.c ) ..

Well,of course manpower is a problem(e.g. I=E2=80=99m too tired tonight =
to write code :-)=20
=E2=80=94
Regards=20
Klaus