Date:      9 Nov 1997 06:12:25 GMT
From:      chris@netmonger.net (Christopher Masto)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Probs with PPP(ISDN) Zyxel->Ascend under -current

In article <199711082020.UAA06900@awfulhak.demon.co.uk>,
Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> after upgrading my Laptop to -current I can't dialin into a
>> ASCEND-400 using iijppp. It worked with 2.2.2, win95 also.
>> Ascend firmware is +5.0Ap16+
>> The ascendlog states:
>>         Acct-Authentic = Local
>>         Ascend-Disconnect-Cause = 65
>>         Ascend-Connect-Progress = 42
>>
>> It is strange, that I don't see my User-Name, only my Caller-ID.
>>
>> /var/log/ppp.log shows:
>[.....]
>> Nov  8 18:08:27 nihil ppp[250]: Phase: Modem: 2 octets in, 307 octets out
>> Nov  8 18:08:27 nihil ppp[250]: Phase: NewPhase: Dead
>
>Does changing your MRU to 1524 make a difference ?  This stuff hasn't
>really changed, but technically, ppp shouldn't be trying to negotiate
>a MRU value that is the same as the default.

I noticed a similar problem when I went from 2.2 to CURRENT.  "set mtu
1500" prevents ijppp from working.  I hadn't investigated it in much
detail; I had a bunch of other stuff to do, so I just stopped trying
to set the MTU.  Anyway, this was with a ZyXEL Elite 2864i (ISDN)
calling a Livingston PM3.  The symptom I noticed was that the TX/RX
lights would flash continually, as if the negotiation were in some
kind of loop.

The reason for the 1500 MTU was to work around some bizzare problem
that makes it impossible to access AltaVista with anything above 1500.
--
= Christopher Masto        = chris@netmonger.net = http://www.netmonger.net/  =
= NetMonger Communications = finger for  PGP key = $19.95/mo unlimited access =