Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 13:33:33 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Motherboards.

> I am looking for a motherboard with as many pci slots as I can get.  A
> full 8 would be nice.  It's really annoying that no one would have been
> able to sell a 486 or 386 board without 8 isa slots, but it's hard to
> find a decent pci MB with 5, much less more.  SuperMicro has an 11 slot
> with 8 pci and 3 isa, but it's I2O, and I refuse to go there.  I am
> going to be doing a processor upgrade in the near future, and while I
> would like to buy a K6/2, I will probably go P2 just because the Slot 1
> boards I've seen tend to have more pci slots than the Super 7 boards.

To get more than 4 or 5 slots you need to put a bridge on the board;
this tends to drive the cost a long way up.

You might want to look at a passive backplane solution; boards with 8
or 12 slots are common, though they usually take PICMG (sp?) processor
cards, and you're looking at a lot more money here.