Date:      Thu, 03 May 2001 16:58:56 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DELL Latitude 400 and pccard?

George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net> wrote:

> Yes, I tried this and it works in as much as I now get pcic working, pc card
> insertion works (and removal) I get no hangs, but I still get (NULL) (NULL)
> card recognition and I don't think I understand (yet) how to get a free irq
> or make a free irq on this box, so I can allocate it to the pccard under the
> pcic controller now on 5. 5 is one of the irqs that pccard.conf tries to use
> to allocate to its 'children' so I assume I now have to (a) override that
> in the /etc/pccard.conf and (b) find another one to use..

     If you're getting insertion and removal messages, that's a good
sign.  You may have gotten over the IRQ hump.

     The "(NULL) (NULL)" messages may be due to a pcic memory conflict.
What does "pccardc dumpcis" display?  If you get messages like "code XXX
ignored", where "XXX" is a number, then you may have a memory conflict.

> Ok. Thats worth persuing. I've nver used USB, so I don't mind doing without i
> but it does beg the question: what does somebody who NEEDS usb do, if they
> also need to use pcmcia? How does windeath manage this?

     In theory, PCI devices can share IRQs.  In practice (in FreeBSD),
it depends.  The FreeBSD 4.X pcic device is, alas, special in that it
cannot share IRQs (Warner just verified this).  With luck, the USB
device can share IRQs (but I don't know this for a fact).

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com