Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 1995 11:01:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        questions list FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Samba (DHCP)

> From: Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
> Date: Tue, 05 Sep 1995 19:06:46 +0200 (MET DST)
> Subject: Re: Samba
>
> > Can I create my own ethers file and assign ip addresses to the WFW/Windows
> > clients, or is a router required?
>
> No router required. What do you mean by ethers file? I doubt that
> DHCP fully works int FreeBSD/bootpd so I recommend to use hardwired
> IP-Addresses in the Windows PCs (does WfW/Win95 support DHCP?)

True, but it CAN be done.  The 2.0.5 bootpd is apparantly ver 2.4.0 .
If you grab the 2.4.3 sources and apply a patch, you'll find that
DHCP works quite well.  Dynamic assigning is not supported, but static
works great.

To do this, grab  ftp://firewall.mc.com/pub/bootp-2.4.3.tar.Z
    and  ftp://nimbus.anu.edu.au/pub/tridge/samba/contributed/DHCP.patch

Untar it, apply the patch, type 'make'... and away it goes.  You might
have to install it by hand, because I seem to remember that the makefile
puts it somewhere funky if you do a 'make install'.  Or you could simply
edit the Makefile.  :-)

After that, add a  :dl=[# of seconds for address lease]:  entry for each
DHCP client in your bootptab and it should start DHCPing for you!

Hey FreeBSD maintainers!!  Shouldn't we change the bootp in 2.1 or 2.2 to
this version (with the patch)?

later,
---
  Charles Owens					 Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                       "I read somewhere to learn is to
  Information Technology Services     remember... and I've learned that
  Eastern Nazarene College            we've all forgot..."   - King's X