Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 14:33:21 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bzip2 in src tree

At 9:54 AM -0800 1/24/00, David O'Brien wrote:
>On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 12:16:32PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> >  > And just how do I increase the space on a CDROM???
> >
> > Include another CD-ROM.
>
>You are missing the point.  The installation CDROM only shows
>you the packages on that CDROM, this gives newbies the impression
>we don't have very many packages.

Then we should fix that aspect of the distribution, because no
matter how good this bzip2 compression is, you're still going
to have a huge number of packages which will not fit on that
first CD.  The space gained by using bzip2 is nearly irrelevant
compared to the space needed to have a "more impressive list"
of packages on that first CD-ROM.

You've been arguing this for quite a while, and there has been
no groundswell of support for your position.  Do you think
"just one more" message on this topic is going to convince
anyone?

Could we just table this discussion for a few months, and see
what everyone thinks about it then?  No one has argued to ban
usage of bzip2, they're just saying it does not need to be in
the base system.  I can not fathom why that bugs you so much.
Given some more time and maybe a few more improvements, and
bzip2 may find itself popular enough to justify it being in
the base system.  Until then, it seems to me that it works
just fine as a port.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute