Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2005 02:52:24 +0100 (CET)
From:      Sten Spans <sten@blinkenlights.nl>
To:        Claus Guttesen <cguttesen@yahoo.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Would this system work correctly with FreeBSD 5.3 ?

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Claus Guttesen wrote:

>> I'm buying a Quad AMD Opteron 64 bits, with 4GB
>> memory. I'd like to know
>> if FreeBSD 5.3 will support a quad-cpu system (with
>> HTT, 8) correctly,
>> without performance losses and consistent operation,
>> no crashes etc. Is
>> the 4GB memory still a problem in amd64 ?
>
> I have a tyan quad-opteron @ 2 Ghz with 4 GB RAM.
> Works fine, using it as a postgresql-server. Running
> 5.3-stable. Very nice hardware.

A short hardware blurp fyi:

- HTT:
   Amd is indeed working on dual core cpu's,
   samples are rumoured to be out there.
   But there are rumours of heat issues and/or
   socket changes. I guess we'll see later this
   year.

- Quad motherboards:
   It's a shame that tyan connects all
   the pci interfaces on their quad motherboard
   to one cpu. The hp/compaq quad proliant has
   seperate buses to two cpu's for extra bandwith.

   http://www.samag.com/documents/s=9408/sam0411b/0411b.htm

   Allthough your gameserver should mostly be cpu/memory
   limited. You shouldn't need that much network/disk bandwith.

--
Sten Spans

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."
Leonard Cohen - Anthem