Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 17:07:28 -0500
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        Andrew Maltsev <am@amsoft.ru>
Cc:        "Bruce M. Walter" <walter@fortean.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: APM power off (patch)

On Tue, Mar 10, 1998 at 12:07:16AM +0300, Andrew Maltsev wrote:
> > > I've uploaded my patch (2.2-stable based) to
> > >
> > >  ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/am-atx-power-off.patch.gz
> > >
> > > What was done:
> > >  - kernel apm driver now able to power off system
> > >  - /sbin/shutdown has new flag `-p' to switch power off after shutdown
> >
> > The kernel poweroff stuff is important for my UPS work and patches have
> > been submitted via send-pr for a shutdown queue for a while.  I don't
> > believe they've been committed though.  We really need a standard (and
> > safe) way of requesting the kernel to poweroff the machine.
>
> What can be more standart, than ioctl(/dev/apm) for userland and
> apm_power_off for kernel stuff?
>
> Or should we call it machine_power_off() and place a hook in
> i386/machdep.c?
>
> With `restore previous power state' bios option it would be perfect
> colution for UPS support.

On a related note (perhaps), I have been led to believe that ATX machines
(which have a momentary power button instead of a switch), it is possible
to intercept the power button and shut down (or ignore it).  Is this
true?  If so, is it supported/supportable by FreeBSD?
--
	       Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
	Director of Operations, NetMonger Communications, Inc.