Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 13:42:28 -0700
From:      Eddie Fry <eddie@eaznet.com>
To:        Robin Melville <robmel@nadt.org.uk>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How many customers read news (was Re: News...)

Robin Melville wrote:

> At 13:38 22/04/97 -0700, Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:
> >....  People every day get cash seized simply because it was
> >suspicious that they had that much cash on them.  Charges are never filed
> >against the property owner in 90% of property seizure cases, because of
> >insufficient evidence.  But does that mean the people get the seized
> >property back?  Nope, because the case against the property is not the
> >same as the case against the person, and the property does not have the
> >right of due process...
>
> I've never heard of anything so ludicrous... surely this is contrary to the
> US Consitution/Bill of Rights. If it isn't then it's legalised theft.

I would think the same thing.  However, I was watching Nightline (or one
of those) a couple of weeks ago and they did a story on Lousiana Highway
Patrol (I believe) doing just that.  They were pulling people over at
random, especially out-of-staters, and seizing whatever property they
wanted (cameras, cash, car, etc.) on the grounds that it may have been
stolen.  They never returned the property because the case against the
property is never settled.

Eddie