Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 10:25:26 -0700 (MST)
From:      Edward Ajhar <ajhar@noao.edu>
To:        jmg@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: misc/4576

John-Mark Gurney <jmg@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote...

 Synopsis: mfs does not mount requested size from /etc/fstab

 State-Changed-From-To: analyzed-closed
 State-Changed-By: jmg
 State-Changed-When: Sun Apr 26 16:12:48 PDT 1998
 State-Changed-Why:
 this has been working for a LONG time...  as the follow up states, it's a user
   error... not a FreeBSD problem...

With all due respect, while I understand your view, the follow-up did
_not_ state that it was a user error, which it is not; rather, Peter
Wemm's <peter@spinner.dialix.com.au> reply exactly identified the
shortcomings in the system and suggested a fix.  Did his fix ever
happen?  Did any fix ever happen?  I honestly do not know if it has.

This is at least a documentation bug.  One should be able to follow
the directions of the man pages and get the documented results.  If
one does not, this is by definition a "bug."  If that means in this
case that the user must be warned about the consequences of
"login.conf" settings on mount_mfs not necessarily giving the size
requested when issued in /etc/fstab, then the man pages should present
such a warning.  If FreeBSD closed this PR without fixing this bug in
some way, then other people will also innocently follow the
documentation and, without warning, run into the same "bug."  If a
correction for this problem has been applied to FreeBSD, then you may
ignore this message.  If not, then please keep the PR open until
someone has the time and inclination to fix the problem in some
manner.  Otherwise, I see little point in reporting many kinds of
bugs.  One of my goals as a FreeBSD user is to help make the system
better for everyone.  Reporting such problems is one way I do this.

--Ed