Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 95 9:54:54 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        osyjm@schizo.coe.montana.edu (Jaye Mathisen)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NETBEUI for FreeBSD?  Any docs?

> A student here is willing to implement NETBEUI for FreeBSD, if I can find
> docs on the protocol.
>
> My understanding is that NetBEUI is rather simplistic, non-routable, but
> it would be useful in communicating with PC's running wfw that for some
> reason don't want TCP/IP.
>
> Any tips appreciated.

I've toyed with this a little... not to the point of running anything,
but to the point of looking for the docs.

There are ISO documents covering the protocol itself.

The biggest mess seems to be the 802.2 LLC state machine, which would
be necessary to use it (but which would buy some neat extras at the
same time).

There is a current project under way on the Samba site.  I don't know
it's status; you should be able to download their project file.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.