Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 12:19:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        John.McLaughlin@acucobol.ie (John McLaughlin)
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Poor SMC Etherpower 10/100 transfer rates

> Hi,
>

> 	Having just recently put 4 of these in 4 new (identical)
> machines (P133's, with Intel 430VX chipset) running 2.1.5R, I'm
> experiencing some oddities when transfering files. At the moment they
> are being operated in 10BaseT mode, and have -link2 for ifconfig
> specified in sysconfig.

I have come accross something similiar in the very early days of the
SMC9332DST.  It turned out to be one of the cards was bad in 10MB/s
mode.  Note that this bad card drug the whole network down to <500kb/s
until I found it and eliminated it.

The lesson learned from this was that just swapping cards does not
always tell you that the cards are okay, it maybe one bad card dragging
the setup down :-(.

The defective card in my case was not listening to the wire before starting
to transmit, this caused excess collisions on the network and everyone
suffered.  Even very light traffic from this node would cause serious
problems for all other nodes, a simple ``ping hostname'' would drive
my network peformance down the tubes :-(