Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 11:24:46 +0500 (GMT+0500)
From:      "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>
To:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, jehamby@lightside.com, current@FreeBSD.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, toor@dyson.iquest.net
Subject:   Chipsets & FreeBSD

> > Can you recommend a good 486 motherboard (preferably PCI)?
>
> Nope, IMHO, there are no _good_ 486 boards left on the market, the last
> _good_ 486 PCI board I could get was the ASUS PCI/I-486SP3G and I have not
> been able to get any more of them.
>
> > Argh, I just got the fingers on my left hand wired to equipment in the next
> > office..  hard to type..
> >
> > I noticed ASUS seems to have several other offerings besides the SP3G..
>
> Such as what, the PVI-486AP4, out of production for 4 months, the only
> 486 board that I know ASUS is still makeing is the PVI-486SP3, which
> I do not classify as a good board due to only 2 Simm sockets and if I
> recall correctly a cache coherency problem in the Sis 496/497 chipset.

Packard Bell still sells (here, in Russia, may be they have finished
the sales of these series in USA) their PB450D series boxes. Their motherboard
works fine (I have it on my production machine). The only possible drawback is
that it has 2 SIMM sockets.

BTW, I plan to buy a Packard Bell 500D series machine with Pentium and
Agoura motherboard. Did anybody tried to run it under FreeBSD ? Or
may be had anyone heard something good/bad about them or about their
chipsets ? Thanks!

-SB