Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:24:46 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
Cc:        Donny Lee <donny@CoreBit.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current hangs during boot

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0010221026290.32853-100000@arnold.neland.dk> Leif Neland writes:
: >  Hi there,
: >
: >  I've done a very recent week's make world(S) on -current, making
: >  and installing world and kernel go fine, but all hang on boot,
: >  with no error codes or msgs.
: >
: Solution: Due to changes in the random/entropy stuff, you have to reboot
: the machine with "shutdown -r now" or Ctrl-alt-del, not "reboot".
:
: (Why do we have a separate reboot command? Couldn't it just be an alias
: for shutdown -r now?)

reboot should be a seprate command.  It should, however, cause the
shutdown scripts to run unless it is run -f.  shutdown implies sending
all messages to all users of NFS filesystems, which isn't desirable in
many cases.  At least that's why my fingers type reboot to this day:
On sunos 4.0 (really Solbourne OS/MP 4.0D) in a large company these
messages would scare more people than they informed...

Warner