Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 10:18:41 -0700
From:      "Geoffrey T. Cheshire" <gtc@cheshirelaw.com>
To:        "Freebsd-Mobile" <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   802.11b security (was: Dell Inspiron 2500 and what 802.11b)

There was an interesting story on this the other on, of all places,
Slashdot.

URL is:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/04/27/1847237&mode=thread

Basically, these guys have been driving around sniffing for wireless LAN
traffick, and find a lot of unsecured major companies.

Most of the useful responses agreed that, at present, 802.11b should be
viewed as insecure, and treated as such on your network.  That is, you
should locate your wireless network outside your firewall, and treat it as
you would the internet.  Therefore, all traffick should assume insecure
channels and ssh (whatever) across the firewall.

FWIW!  (I'm still chained by UTP here.)
- - -
Geoffrey T. Cheshire <gtc (at) cheshirelaw (dot) com>
PGP IDs: 0xA898DA75, 0x7B9C0691 (office), 0x43713B0D (RSA)