Date:      Sat, 30 Jun 2001 13:34:34 -0500
From:      Gabor Kincses <gabor@nameprotect.com>
To:        John Toon <john.toon@btinternet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Browser with *good* Java & Flash support?

John Toon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to be able to use a good internet browser with _decent_ Java and
> Flash support. However, I seem to have hit a nasty stumbling block with
> this on FreeBSD:

Netscape 4.77 (Linux) + Flash 5 works well enough.  Much faster than
Konqueror/Mozilla.  I haven't tried the Linux 1.3 Java plugin.  You are
right.  The built-in 1.1.5 is awful in both Linux and native versions of
4.x.  Native Konqueror starts the Linux 1.3 JVM, but I'm getting
exceptions.  Specifically, on
http://www.intellicast.com/LocalWeather/World/UnitedStates/JavaLoop/:

Java VM version: 1.3.0_02
Java VM vendor:  Sun Microsystems Inc.
Unable to load JSSE SSL stream handler, https support not available
Default TimeZone = Custom
Custom In Daylight = false
Custom Uses Daylight = false
GMT In Daylight = false
GMT Uses Daylight = false
java.lang.ClassFormatError: JLoop (Bad magic number)
	at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:111)
	at
org.kde.kjas.server.KJASAppletClassLoader.findClass(KJASAppletClassLoader.java:314)
	at
org.kde.kjas.server.KJASAppletClassLoader.loadClass(KJASAppletClassLoader.java:335)
	at org.kde.kjas.server.KJASAppletStub$1.run(KJASAppletStub.java:82)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

Then after hitting reload:

Running Applet Initialization !
Custom In Daylight = false
Custom Uses Daylight = false
GMT In Daylight = false
GMT Uses Daylight = false
 Hostname = null
Starting the Animation !
Loop Hold = 2000
Image Hold = 500

but nothing shows up in the window.

Haven't tried a Linux Konqueror executable.

> 1. The Linux-Netscape 6 port doesn't support plugins/Java.
> 2. The Mozilla port can't use the Linux plugins - and there is no native
> FreeBSD Java plugin or official Flash plugin (in my experience, the GPL
> one doesn't function very well).
> 3. Opera for Linux doesn't as yet support Netscapes 6 plugins.
> 4. The Linux version of Mozilla doesn't function correctly on my machine
> - for some bizarre reason I am completely unable to connect to anything
> *at all* after the browser has started up - even when I'm online.
> 5. Netscape 4.x is a terrible browser (thankfully we now have
> alternatives on *nix boxes) with completely useless Java support.
> 6. Apparently wine can't as yet run Internet Explorer 5.x anywhere near
> properly, and I have no idea as to it's Win32 Netscape 6 ability.
>
> Has anyone got any suggestions? I'm desperate for decent browser Java
> support!
>
> Is there any chance that the Linux plugins will be supported under the
> FreeBSD Mozilla port in the near future?
>
> Regards,
>
> John.

Gabor Kincses
Running FreeBSD 4.3-RC3