Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 15:28:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        Richard Foulk <richard@pegasus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: reliable modems?

--> you said:

> I'd recommend against rack-mount modems.  I've used them in the past
> and always wished I hadn't once they get older.  Once they get outdated
> single modems can be spread around and used in other places -- rack-mounts
> become large expensive boat-anchors.  :-(
>
> Rows of single modems may not look as cool, but they usually make more
> sense.

I can't agree with this...  Just figuring out a way to *power* 200
modems in a standalone config is a nightmare.  I've blown circuit
breakers while plugging in new ones.  The cube power supplies are very
unreliable, and very innefficient.  Nowt to mention that you have no way
of having a modem busy itself out if it stops working.  UUNet, PSI, etal.
are all going for the Ascend Max, which when purchased used, is a pretty
good deal.  Not to mention they perform well.  My sportster (which has
never given me any problems) is dialed into one now, happily talking with
a Rockwell chipset.

Why do I say all this?  I'm in charge of 200 stand alone modems.
Nightmare, nightmare, nightmare.  I won't even start on the Xylogics
RA4000....

Charles