Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 2000 01:12:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@dsuper.net>
To:        Christiaan Rademan <christiaan@mics.co.za>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security Bug.

On Sat, 24 Jun 2000, Christiaan Rademan wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I am hosting a shell server, for my dialup users at a ISP.

	That's problem #1. :-)

> We have one slight problem, there is a DoS attack that affects
> FBSD4.0Stable locally
> and other FBSD releases.
>
> If the DoS attack is runned locally, the system stops accepting
> connections then die's off.
>
> Here is the bug... :-) if there is a patch already please post it
> here...

	This is a resource exhaustion, previously it panic-ed the machine. It
  no longer does. Also, the socket buffer size (sbsize) limit very much
  exists. The fact that you haven't carefully read login.conf(5) and are
  running a public shell server is problem #2.

 [...]

 Hope this helps,
 Bosko.

--
 Bosko Milekic  *  Voice/Mobile: 514.865.7738  *  Pager: 514.921.0237
    bmilekic@technokratis.com  *  http://www.technokratis.com/