Date:      Fri, 23 May 1997 12:47:11 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS P/I-P65UP5 + C-P55T2D dual Pentium MB

[ okay I trimmed the cc: list, it was huge. ]

On Thu, 22 May 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> And no, I don't actually test all 3 installation types - I just
> test Novice these days. :)
>
> 					Jordan

Although I'm not sure if you're kidding about this but this could be why the
"Use Entire Disk" option didn't work last time I tried it.

But then again, I can't seem to find any mention of the setup disp option
that was available in the 2.1.0 bootdisk I had to use yesterday.
(The floppy driver screwed my machine up amazingly well, wiping most of / so
I needed a fixit disk and it was all I had with me at home)

Now if the installation was tested with a "use this configuration" disk
then it could test every option.. and would probably save time later.

Also I was having a chat yesterday and it seem NT has a network
installer or something that just installs NT for you with one setup disk
that you build. Okay, so it's a M$ thing, but perhaps adding an option to
save the config used on one machine at the end of sysinstall back to the
boot disk and then next time you use the disk it can offer you a "use
defaults" or something option.

Then you could install 100's of computers identically really rather quickly.
It's not a wonderful idea, and there's prolly other things that need work
first, but I like it. (I have 7 FreeBSD boxes and they keep multiplying!)

Sysinstall does seem to have been a major candidate for bug reports,
besides it's rather good at the "got signal 11 bye bye" thing..

Honest, I love it to bits though =)

--
Steve Roome  - Vision Interactive Ltd.
E: steve@visint.co.uk      M: +44 (0) 976 241 342