Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 21:26:19 -0800
From:      Phil Staub <phils@casagate.staub.net>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NFS/SSH interactions

The environment: A two-machine network at home has 2.2.7-STABLE from
about mid October on my internet gateway machine and 2.2.8-RELEASE on
the other.

I'm trying to install SSH on the 2.2.8 machine, but when I do so,
attempts to mount remote filesystems via NFS hang forever.

I saw something like this once before, when I was trying to run one
machine on DES and the other on MD5.

>From these observations, my perception is that NFS expects the same
authentication mechanism on both machines. Two questions:

1. Is this indeed true? (My knowledge of the internals of NFS being
infinitesimally small)
2. Is there any way to use SSH on one machine and not on the other?

Thanks.
Phil
--
Phil Staub, KE7HC		Senior Software Engineer
phils@casagate.staub.net	Audio Precision, Inc.