Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:51:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How do basic OS principles continue to improve?

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, j mckitrick wrote:

> | Most cutting edge CS work occurs in academia, in very
> | small groups, with no more than 4 people participating,
> | and usually, a single idealist leading the group.
>
> That's what I've heard as well.  I love the fact that IPv6 is developed
> on open source operating systems, and yet will hardly be accepted in the
> networking world until Windows supports it.

IPv6 is not a good example of "single idealist" design and developing. v6
is definately a commitee design, and it kind of shows. the IPng workgroup
didget a few things right with the acceptance of v6, but migrating to it
is still not easy.

Most "this is nifty" developments happen in Free OSs, since there's little
corparate pressure to support or develop something new, or to let their
in-house projects out.

with the release of XP, though, MS has also given out broad range of
potential v6 users (this is what i've been given to understand, i've not
had the motivation or spare hardware to check this out and verify it).

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche