Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:41:50 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Pierre-Luc =?iso-8859-1?Q?Lesp=E9rance?= <oksala@videotron.ca>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unknown transient service 1528/tcp

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001 00:19:15 EST, Pierre-Luc =?iso-8859-1?Q?Lesp=E9rance?= wrote:

> The best way to figure out what's listening
> on your computer may be netstat and sockstat.

Except that the machine lies less to the outside world when it's been
hacked.  The netstat binary is a favourite candidate for being replaced
by rootkits, as I recently discovered when our Linux firewall was
hacked.

Using tools on a local system that you suspect to have been hacked
can be problematic, especially when the the system has been set up to
periodically rewrite key system binaries.  With the advent of kqueue,
it's possible for things like ps, top and netstat to be rewritten every
time you update them with fresh, virgin copies!

Ciao,
Sheldon.