Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 1996 15:19:49 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        jon@ctasim.com ("Jon Doran" )
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Irrelevant comments on cvsup

> You can either generate the checksums during off hours from a cron job, or
> build them up as things change.  As you pointed out, there are always people

"Knowing when things change" is, of course, the art here. :-)

> First, consider people who dump things into the tree via RCS or CVS.  Lets
> use RCS, since its a lower common denominator.  It would be useful to place
> hooks in RCS to run filters at various stages of the ci and co process.  For
> example, a site may have standards on the format of code in the tree, so part
> of the ci process might involve running indent on all code to convert it into
> the standard format.  Part of the co process might involve running indent

Perhaps you've just picked a poor example here, but that seems like a
pretty whacked-out idea to me.  If you checked in code for, say, vi
and this auto-indenter ran on it, then Keith sent you another version
of vi and you wanted to see what had changed between the two versions,
you'd be totally screwed.  I dunno, I'd say a feature like this would
be like a double-edged sword with no hilt.

						Jordan