Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 19:54:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      hawkeyd@visi.com (D J Hawkey Jr)
To:        brett@lariat.org, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: security risk: ktrace(2) in FreeBSD prior to -current.

In article <4.3.2.7.2.20020701102105.022a44f0_localhost@ns.sol.net>,
	brett@lariat.org writes:

>>Please note that I have *not* asked for a binary update.
>>I don't want to get flamed the way Brett does...
>
> ...for asking something reasonable? ;-)
>
> Seriously: Please do ask. If we do not have up-to-date binary
> packages, a large percentage of the new installs of FreeBSD
> (both network installs and those from CD-ROM) will be vulnerable
> from the start, even though the holes have long been identified.
> This is not only unethical but also terrible for FreeBSD's
> reputation.

Again with the "I need this from y'all 'cuz I'm too lame or lazy to do
it myself, and I'm committed to countless customers with a solution of
my own making that I can't support.".

And now you're going so far as to call The Project "unethical". I gotta
wonder if those same customers aren't going to refer to you with the
same word pretty soon. You got 'em into this jam; you get 'em out.

> Already, the Apache/FreeBSD worm is making the rounds. Why
> allow new installs to be vulnerable?

Jiminy Crickets, man! Get off you pedestal, roll up your sleeves, and
get on with it. You MUST have a lot of work to do, what with spending
all this time pissing and moaning about how others won't do it for you.

> --Brett

Ya know, Brett, in the time it takes for you to let one thread of yours
die, I can update two disparate networks with two patches. And I have
nowhere's near the expertise you so obviously must have.

I won't be re-visiting this thread.
Dave