Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 1997 06:31:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Beattie <beattie@stt3.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Terry Todd <tltodd@skognet.skognet.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.6 on Tecra 720

On Sun, 12 Jan 1997, Doug White wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Terry Todd wrote:
>
> > I have 2.1.6.1 running on a Tecra 720.  When I boot up the system
> > sometimes sio1 (built-in modem) comes up OK and sometimes it
> > doesn't get probed and comes up "disabled, not probed".
> > Anybody run into this before?
>
> It's unusual that it would be disabled some times and not others.  The
> diabled message is controlled through UserConfig ('-c') and by the
> 'disabled' keyword in the kernel config.
>
> This IS an inernal modem, so you never know what you're going to get.
>
> > Also the screen blanks after some period of time and will not
> > come back to life until it is re-booted.  Any clues?
>
> A friend of mine has the same problem on his older Satellite.  He has to
> suspend and restore the machine for the screen to come back.

I have a 730 which is the same machine with a larger disk and faster CPU.
I had some problems initialiy with the modem.  After using the modem under
Win95 I did not have any.  I may also have changed a number of other
things so Win95 may have had nothing to do with it.

I am currently running 2.2-BETA with the PAO-970111 patches but I also ran
under 2.2-BETA.  I enabled APM in the kernel.  I do recall the screen
blanking with no recovery but I believe I was running a kernel with the
APM disabled.

Brian Beattie                 +1.503.690.1570 x6116
Dynamics Research Corporation
19545 NW Von Neumann Dr       FAX 690.1569
Beaverton, OR 97006-6998      beattie@stt3.com

"I am Pentium of the Borg. Division is futile. you will be approximated!"