Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 1996 20:22:48 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        "Ulf Zimmermann" <ulf@z-code.ncd.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Frame Relay and FreeBSD

>On Feb 13, 19:20, dennis wrote:
>> Subject: Re: Frame Relay and FreeBSD

>> >So far my calculation for FR is:
>> >
>> >A Frame Relay card:
>> >
>> >ETinc.:
>> >
>> >ET/5025 56K/64K  $495
>> >V.35/EIA-530 option (for T1) $100
>> >Frame Relay/X.25 $50
>> >
>> >or
>> >
>> >ET5025-16 56K/64K  $695
>> >V.35/EIA-530 option (for T1) $100 (per port)
>> >Frame Relay/X.25 $200
>> >Dual Port Option $100
>> >
>> >or
>> >
>> >ET5025-25 T1 incl Frame Relay   $1095
>> >Dual Port Option  $200
>> >
>> >You need a CSU/DSU for this card, price for 56K/64K is about $250-$600, for
>> >128K-1.5MB price is starting around $700 and up to $2000.
>> >
>> >Or you take cards from SDL Comm, which have only a Frame Relay driver for
>BSDI
>> >at the moment. But the cards are cheaper.
>> >
>> >RISCom/N2s 56K/64K $490
>> >RISCom/N2d dual port 56K/64K $590
>> >RISCom/N2dds dual port with one CSU/DSU on board 56K/64K $650
>> >RISCom/N2csu dual port with one T1 CSU/DSU on board something around $1100
>> >Frame Relay option for BSDI $150
>> >
>> >About monthly Frame Relay I can't say anything, but in California I would
>pay
>> >about $275 for 128K
>>
>> to clarify this....
>>
>> Realize that you get software and support from BSDI (its their
>> software)....with our
>> product you buy the software (and get the support) from us.
>>
>> see www.etinc.com/compare.htm for the "biased" poop.
>>

>> BTW..we sell brand-name, high quality CSU/DSUs for (56/64k) 325. and 695.
>(T1)
>> and lesser quality ones (still better than an on-board CSU) for $190 (56k)
>and
>> $300. (T1....available any day now).
>>
>>-- End of excerpt from dennis
>
>Dennis,
>
>kick your webmaster that he should update the prices ;-) On the web is still
>$725 for T1. Look I have a price of $1100 from SDL Comm for a 2 port card with
>CSU/DSU on board and the BSDI Frame Relay option. (Btw. they claim they are
>better) Even if I take the smallest card from Etinc I have $495 (card) + $100
>(V.35 option) + $50 (Frame Relay) + $695 (T1 CSU/DSU) = Total of $1340. With
>only 1 port and a card there ETinc's web page is saying for 56K/64K (it is some
>kind of confusing, to say 56K/64K but offer a T1 option). This $240 more then I
>have from SDL Comm, but SDL has no FreeBSD driver.
>
>I am trying at the moment to get $3000 together, so I can get me Frame Relay
>(128K as it looks like at the moment). That is $1009 for PB, $500 for the
>provider and rest for hardware I need.

I suspect that you've only read the pricelist and not the other 28 pages so
that you'd
know what you're buying.

$725. includes the V.35 cable....$695. without.

You wouldn't want to use the ET/5025 for T1, so for T1 it would be $995. +
$725.
for the first one, about 150 less for subsequent ones. You gotta pay for a
mercedes, man.
but you're gonna use it every day....get something good.

our 56/64k boards have RS-232 interfaces..You can try to run it at T1 if you
like. You
need V.35 or X.21 or EIA-530 to run T1, which is an add-on option. Our 56k
boards have
the same RISC processor as our T1 boards...theirs is a clunker. Our dual
port card
has 2 CPUs on it....so it costs extra.

The day that SDL has any product better than ours is the day that I retire.
First they dont even have a real protocol engine for FR.....just "wrapper
encapsulation".
A traceroute on their web site and "server"  would suggest that they don't
even use their own products. .After 2 years in "beta" with their frame relay
its suddenly 'better" than ours... Hehehehehehehehehe, LOL......

Its your money...you get what you pay for...spend it as you like......You
can get a Yugo
for $250. Do you drive one? Quoting price only (as if all products are
created equal)
is irresponsible. You're gonna pay (how much?) a month and you're gonna scrimp
on your interface?

Now lets keep this off the lists 'cause we're just gonna make everyone
angry.....

db
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX