Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:56:35 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>, Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, David Xu <bsddiy@21cn.com>
Subject:   Re: vm balance

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <200104181702.f3IH24s23282@earth.backplane.com>, Matt Dillon writes:
> >    If this will get rid of or clean up the specfs garbage, then I'm all
> >    for it.  I would love to see a 'clean' fileops based device interface.
>
> specfs, aliased vnodes, you name it...
>
> I think the aliased vnodes is the single most strong argument of them
> all for doing this...

Great. Then we have aliased file pointers...
that's not a great improvement..

You'd still have to have 'per instance' storage somewhere,
so that the openned devices could have different permissions, and still
have them point to common data. so you still need
aliases, except now it's not a vnode being aliased but some
other structure.

> --

      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org