Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 14:15:54 -0700
From:      Robert Clark <ROBERTC@PII.COM>
To:        nick@calyx.net, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:    Civil Forfeiture: (was: How many customers read news)

	Its nice to enjoy the whole-world feel of the 'FreeBSD Movement'. Sometimes the rest of the world gets to chuckle at
our troubles.

	I think this is one of those times.

											[RC]

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Robin Melville wrote:

> >....  People every day get cash seized simply because it was
> >suspicious that they had that much cash on them.  Charges are never filed
<snip>
>  > I've never heard of anything so ludicrous... surely this is contrary to the
> US Consitution/Bill of Rights. If it isn't then it's legalised theft.

Robin - it's true, and don't start turning this into an american-bashing session because it's based in English common law
:D

Actually for anyone who wants to know more about civil forfeiture, you can read all about it, with first hand accounts
at:

			http://www.fear.org

Regards,

Nicholas Merrill       24 Hour pager: 212-381-0500     Voice: 212-292-7325
President / CEO        http://www.calyx.net            Fax  : 212-292-7313
Calyx Internet Access  271 E. 10th St. #100 NYC 10009  Email: nick@calyx.net