Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 2002 12:55:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD Security <security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ipfw and samba

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Mario Pranjic wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Does anyone knows what should be opened in order to samba works proprely.
> I tried opening the ports 137-139 (tcp and udp) but it still doesn't
> work.
>
> smbclient -L works, though, but I can't access the host from windows.
>
> Anybody knowns what might be the problem?

    NetBIOS collision?

    Try changing the NetBIOS name of the server host.  NetBIOS is a
braindead system with a completely flat namespace, and naming
collisions are not always obvious.

    I lost an entire day to this problem last week.  :-(

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)