Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2011 19:21:27 +0100
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PowerMac G5 and FreeBSD 9.0-current: no disks?

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 22:16:24 -0500
Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu> wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2011, at 6:38 PM, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Nathan's BSDinstaller snapshot[1] for PowerPC is the first image that I have managed to
> > boot on my PowerMac G5[2]. This made it possible for me to get dmesg output from
> > the machine, see the FreeBSD page[3].
> > When I am looking at the the dmesg, I can see that the hard drive isn't detected. Partial output:
> > atapci0: <ServerWorks K2 SATA150 controller> mem 0x80600000-0x80601fff irq 256 at device 12.0 on pci6
> > ata2: <ATA channel 0> on atapci0
> > ata3: <ATA channel 1> on atapci0
> > ata4: <ATA channel 2> on atapci0
> > ata5: <ATA channel 3> on atapci0
> > atapci1: <ServerWorks K2 SATA150 controller> at device 12.1 on pci6
> > pcib1: failed to reserve resource for atapci1
> > atapci1: 0x10 bytes of rid 0x20 res 4 failed (0, 0xffffffff).
> > atapci1: unable to map interrupt
> > device_attach: atapci1 attach returned 6
>
> Is the hard drive not detected every boot?  FWIW, on the Xserve G5 I run FreeBSD/powerpc64 9-CURRENT on, sometimes during boot the hard (ad0) drive will fail to be probed and hence the system will fail to > find and mount the root file system.  However, if I drop to the debugger and issue a "reboot" at that point then on the subsequent boot the hard drive will usually be probed correctly and the system will boot
> fully.  (Sometimes I have to iterate this a few times, but eventually the hard drive is probed and the system can boot.)

In my case, it seems quite consistent. I just did a little test. For
all normal boots I used:
set hw.ata.atapi_dma=0
boot
for all verbose boots I used:
set hw.atapi_dma=0
boot -v

after each boot, I used the LiveCD, and 'atacontrol list' and
'atacontrol reinit ata2' to check if drive ad0 (the internal drive with
OS X on it) was there.

5 normal boots: no ad0
1 verbose boot: ad0 detected
1 normal boot: no ad0
1 verbose boot: ad0 detected.

Perhaps it is a timing issue? Perhaps printing all the extra text lines
on the verbose boot gives the drive (or controller) enough time to
become ready?
I don't know.
--
Torfinn