Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:41:14 -0500
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>, David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, John Von Essen <essenz@essenz.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4 Tag...

On Tuesday 11 March 2003 08:12 pm, Doug Barton wrote:
> [Follow-ups set to -doc]
>
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, David Schultz wrote:
> > That section looks pretty good to me, so you have my apologies.
> > Some of the sections are much worse, though.  For instance, take a
> > look at section 18 (Advanced), which is a little bit better than
> > it used to be but still wrong in many areas.  I asked about
> > interest in updating the FAQ last April, and the response I got
> > was that people would accept updates to it, but basically everyone
> > wanted to focus on the Handbook.  I assumed that this was because
> > people preferred the layout of the Handbook as a better way to
> > find information.
>
> Well that's just silliness... if you have contributions to the FAQ, file
> PR's at least. That way the issue can be addressed in real terms (instead
> of, "What would happen if I?").
>
> But seriously folks, I suggested a while back that "we" reorganize the
> useful information in the FAQ so that it lives in the appropriate location
> in the handbook, and turn the FAQ itself into links back to the handbook.
> At the time I was laughed out of court for a couple reasons, not the least
> of which was resources. But we've got a pretty solid core of doc
> committers nowadays, perhaps it's time to revisit this idea?

I for one, wholeheartedly support that idea.  There is simply too much
information in the FAQ sometimes (considering its purpose of being a FAQ and
not a research tool) and knowing where to find the answer can be really hard
because there is so much there.  But if the information was in the handbook I
believe it would be a lot more useful.  Especially using your idea of linking
to the appropriate handbook section.

my .02

Tim