Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 05:57:04 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Fredrik Olausson <fredrik@speechcraft.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The desktop apathy

Fredrik Olausson <fredrik@speechcraft.com> types:
> As for "world domination", as long as Microsoft dominates the desktop,
> they
> have a very good weapon for dominating the server market as well. What if
> Microsoft introduces a really kick-ass, proprietary, extension to Explorer
> that only works together with an IIS server? What about this illustrious
> "dot NET initiative"? It is true that the server market is the most
> important one, but the desktop an server segments affect one another to a
> great extent. We NEED the desktop!

With Windows dominating the desktop, there's a real economic incentive
to put Windows on the server - it's a smaller skill set to pay for to
administer the systems.  I've had a number of clients try Windows NT
on the server, fail to get it working well enough to use, and then
give up and go back to Unix. So the real question is, what if
MicroSoft simply introduces a version of Windows that's stable enough
to use? Since their practice is to keep trying until they get it
right, and they have the resources to do it wrong many times, it's
bound to happen.

	<mike