Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 1995 11:21:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jfieber@cs.smith.edu (John Fieber)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: status of it all?

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
> setting up your network connection!  I'd like to see us push more
> aggressively on the network installation stuff, both by providing more

[...]

> and documenting/automating the low-level setup work of getting a PPP
> or SLIP connection on the air!  More and more people are getting
> SLIP/PPP, a number that will be even higher by the time 2.0.5 starts

Say, this reminds me...  I grabbed the boot disk from the latest
snapshot and it appears to only have sio0 in it!  Well, my modem
is all the way down at sio3.  Of course, I can climb under my
desk and fiddle some plugs but it is a hassle.  Also, some people
may have unbuffered UARTS at 0 and 1, and their buffered ones on
an ad-in card at 2 and 3.

> I think that things like ijppp (which I'm using now, and it's a dream)
> should be substantially leveraged from if at all possible.  It just
> takes someone writing a script to do all the glue work of configuring
> a ppp or slip configuration file somehow - dialer, login sequence, the
> works.

Unfortunately there is so much variation in slip/ppp providers it
would be mighty difficult to develop a universal script.  Some
work could definately be done about asking the user a few key
questions and then generating a script from that...

> specially-named companion file.  You go read about some part of the
> system, like kernel configuration, and after reading for awhile (or
> not at all :-) you think "OK, sounds good, let's *do it*!" and you
> whap F2 or something and up comes the all-singing, all-dancing dialog
> based kernel auto-configurator script.  Then go read about adding

The other approach is self evident programs, i.e. a kernel config
program that needs no documentation because it is built in.  We
still have to provide guidance to lead the user to the program,
but once there, the program takes over.  It seems like kernel
config, both rebuilding, and tweaking with sysctl would be ideal
targets for this.

-john