Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 2003 15:30:46 -0500
From:      Tom Limoncelli <tal@lumeta.com>
To:        ARL <ARL@Telcoman.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FREE BSD

I agree with people's recommendations so far, such as Unleashed and the
Handbook, but I'd like to take a second to plug a book that I co-wrote:
"The Practice of System and Network Administration" by Limoncelli & Hogan.

It isn't about FreeBSD specifically, it's about the best practices and
policies for large sites no matter what OS you are using: from how to build
a good email infrastructure, how to manage your boss, write security
policies that get followed, plan a budget, hire and fire sysadmins, and so
on.  (the first half is all technical, the second half is all operational
and organizational).

It's been well-received in the open source community, most likely because
it has a "how to convince your boss to adopt open source" section :-).
Peter Salus in Usenix ;login: has mentioned it favorably a few times.

For more information, go to http://www.EverythingSysadmin.com

--Tom Limoncelli