Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 2002 18:07:05 -0400
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        Mike Avery <mavery@myrealbox.com>, FreeBSD-Mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BSD 4.6, X, and Savage IX w/MV woes

On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 12:34:08PM -0600, Mike Avery wrote:
> I'm trying to get my Toshiba 2755 laptop running with
> FreeBSD 4.6.  Sadly, I bought this machine before I
> was thinking about running FreeBSD on a laptop.

That's ok, it will probably work just fine.

> In any case, I can't find any drivers that get the
> Savage IX w/MV working with X.  I've tried all the
> reasonable sounding drivers that were included, and so
> far all I get is a message that tells me something like,
> "it seems the x-setup failed, would you like to try
> again".

That sounds like the Savage chip that is in my Toshiba 2805 and which
has been working perfectly ever since XFree86 4.0.1.  Make sure you
installed XFree86 4.x and *not* XFree86 3.x.  3.x doesn't work with
the Savage IX/MV.  BTW, this is an XFree86 issue you are having,
it's not FreeBSD's fault. :-)  XFree68 will work for you once we get
the magic incantations right.  Don't dispare.

From my /var/log/XFree86.0.log (Check your log file.  You may find the cause
of your problems in there.)
(--) PCI:*(1:0:0) S3 Savage/IX-MV rev 17, Mem @ 0xf0000000/27, BIOS @ 0x000c0000/16

> A check with (sorry) RedHat 7.3 on the machine shows
> it thinks the video card is a S3 86C270-294 IX-MV (rev
> 11), in case that helps.  (Red Hat chokes on the Cisco
> PCM340 Card in the laptop.  There is no joy in mudville.
> While I'd rather have FreeBSD working on the machine,
> my main goal is to get Microsoft OFF the machine.)

I haven't tried a Cisco card yet.  But I've seen reports of success.
I wiped Windows off this machine the day after I bought it.

> I'd appreciate any pointers, tips, or answers you can
> share.  I've been rt'ing the fm, and cursing google until
> my eyes cross.... so far, no joy.

I don't know how different the 2755 is from the 2805, but you might at
least want to try snarfing my XFree86 config file from:

http://www.LambertFam.org/~lambert/laptop/

Look at some of the other stuff, it may apply to your Toshiba as well.

Good luck!

lambert@lambertfam.org