Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 12:18:44 +0100
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        <up@3.am>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Server mainboards, was: Re: Gigabyte Athlon motherboard

>> 	I've exerienced about an 8% loss on these motherboards due to
>> minor power surges alone, not to mention a multitude of small problems. I
>> highly suggest you go with Soltek or Asus, both work great under FreeBSD
>> and Windows if now problems.
>
>As long as we're on the subject of motherboards for FreeBSD, I'd love some
>feedback on higher-end server boards with integrated SCSI and Ethernet, as
>well as console redirection to the serial ports.  I've been using the
>Intel L440GX+ with pretty good results, but I was wondering what else
>there is, now that there are 133Mhz memory busses, etc.

Hi!

Personally, I made good experience with ASUS and Tyan boards.
I have an old Tomcat 4 dual with 233 MMX, works like a charm, and there are
some design details I missed on lots of other manufacturers.

Also the ASUS P2B series/design base has proven to be stable as well.
Heard from a sysadmin of a bigger newspaper in berlin, that he personally
prefers/preferred Iwill boards over ASUS in terms of stability...

You will probably want to check out the new GX based boards from Tyan, they
also come with SCSI onboard, whether Adaptec or Symbios.
There also is the "old" thunder series with Adaptec 3940 UW on-board, and
there also shall exist a raid adaptor.

Other question: JUst had a discusion with some guys on another mailing
list(also being some salesmen/ computer doctors) that mentioned that they
find Tyan not being in the upper field in general. Also TYan is not that
widespread in USA. Can someone confirm this?

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	www.nightfire.de		mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- The power to serve		ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)