Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2019 23:06:27 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: More CARP issues under 12

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 4:21 AM Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
wrote:

> so, having got a workaround for yesterdays problems, I now went to upgrade
> my
> other pair of boxes using CARP. No 'pf' on these, just one shared address.
> This is the setup I have tested in development and it works fine.
>
> I install the new kenel and do the first reboot - and I get the panic
> below. Maybe its not carp related, but seems suspicious as the last
> thing it spits out is a carp message.
>
> Note this is the first reboot - so 12.0 kernel with the 11 userland, in
> perparation for the installworld step. Machine is booting from, ZFS and
> also
> has a GELI partition contain some data which requires a manual password.

To point  out the obvious, booting a 12.0 kernel with 11  userland to
multiuser mode is seriously unsupported. You really need to boot to single
user and install 12.0 userland to really expect things to work. OTOH, while
I would expect that MANY things might not work, panics should not come from
problems in userland. Still, I would not be at all shocked if it turns out
to be coincidental to CARP. I would also not be shocked if this makes no
difference, but even between minor version updates, there can be issues
when the kernel and userland are different versions.

Is there a reason that a standalone boot is not possible? Both installworld
and mergemaster should be run before moving to multiuser mode and reboot is
preferred to exit. In some cases even delete-old can be required before
safely going to multimode.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com