Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:06:29 +0000
From:      Andrea Campi <andrea+freebsd_arch@webcom.it>
To:        Garance A Drosehn <gad@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, pjd@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Accessing disks via their serial numbers.

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 04:38:23PM -0400, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
> This strikes me as a worthwhile idea.  Leave the device-
> entries in /dev as they are now, but then create some
> sub-directories which would hold the more arbitrary (or
> "non-sanitized") names.
>      /dev/info/disk/serial-num
> or   /dev/info/geom/whatever
>
> etc.  That way there's only one new entry in /dev, and
> people could just de-permit that directory (or turn the
> feature off) if they didn't want or need to have that
> extra info available.

Picking a semi-random message to reply to, I seem to recall Solaris
has a separate /devices filesystem for this: all entries are dynamic,
so the filesystem is strictly readonly from a userland point of view.
In our case, we would have quite a lot of overlap with devinfo, but it
could still be something to keep in mind.

Andrea

--
                      Loose bits sink chips.