Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:35:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   znyx don't adjust TX thresh?

Hello!

We have two ZNYX ZX314 boards in a FreeBSD 2.2.8-based router.  This
system is the main router for one of our POPs.  It continually spews

de0: abnormal interrupt: transmit underflow

and doesn't appear to be fixing itself anytime soon.  We have other
de-driven (SMC & Netgear) boards in 2.2 and 3.X boxen and they simply
mention they're adjusting the transmith threshhold and stop whining.

tulip_print_abnormal_interrupt() makes this check:

           if (mask == TULIP_STS_TXUNDERFLOW && (sc->tulip_flags &
TULIP_NEWTXTHRESH)) {
                sc->tulip_flags &= ~TULIP_NEWTXTHRESH;
                if (sc->tulip_cmdmode & TULIP_CMD_STOREFWD) {
                    printf(" (switching to store-and-forward mode)");
                } else {
                    printf(" (raising TX threshold to %s)",
                           &thrsh[9 * ((sc->tulip_cmdmode &
TULIP_CMD_THRESHOLDC
TL) >> 14)]);
                }
            }

For some reason this isn't being followed.

In addition, during the znyx media probe:

    TULIP_CSR_WRITE(sc, csr_command,
        TULIP_CSR_READ(sc, csr_command) & ~TULIP_CMD_TXTHRSHLDCTL);

This looks a bit ominous (turning off the TX thresh control?).

Do the Znyx cards not support adjusting the TX thresh, or is this some odd
bug?  Unfortunately this is a production box so I can't go rebooting it
every hour, but I can make small adjustments.  I'm going to disable the
relevant printf()s anyway, but I hope no packets are getting smashed in
the process.

Thanks for any hints/help/etc.

Doug White