Date:      Thu, 04 Jan 2001 19:21:01 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        John Bishop <moonwick@dump.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WaveLAN 11mbit help

John Bishop <moonwick@dump.net> wrote:

> I'm having a bit of trouble getting my 11mbit WaveLAN ORINOCO card running
> under FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE, and I was hoping someone here could provide some
> assistance.

     You need to give more information.  The dmesg and the output of
"wicontrol -i wi0" would be a good start.

> I've tried various IRQs to no avail, and I am able to reconfigure the card
> using wicontrol.  An interesting thing to note is that on the card in the
> FreeBSD machine (which is running in ad-hoc mode just like the other
> card) I only get a single solid light; meanwhile, on the win2k client
> running the latest Lucent driver, I get both a solid and a rapidly
> flashing light.  Perhaps this tidbit can help narrow down the problem I am
> having.

     Are there other WaveLan devices around?  IIRC, one LED is a
power/link LED, and the other is an activity LED (which blinks when
wireless LAN traffic is detected/sent).  Your win2k description sounds
like the power is on, and wireless LAN traffic is being detected (but
not from the FreeBSD box, as you say that no LEDs there are blinking).
However, you'd have to be part/near other 802.11b devices in order to
detect traffic (and I believe that, in order for the activity LED to
blink, the win2k box would have to successfully establish itself as part
of an existing wireless LAN).  This does, of course, assume that the
cards aren't broken; have you tried swapping them?

     Also, what about encryption?  Have you enabled it?  Are both
WaveLan cards the same type?  (I seem to recall that, under some
circumstances at least, encryption settings can survive a FreeBSD
reboot, and so it's best to always enable/disable encryption settings on
the FreeBSD box at reboot.)

     Try using the diagnostic tools on the win2k box (the win98 drivers
come with some kind of "wavemanager" diagnostic program, and I assume
that the win2k drivers have something similar).  If win2k diagnostics
exist, I think they should be able to detect the existence of the
FreeBSD card (I'm not sure of this, though).

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com